10/21/2011

What we ate....

When Michael and I started dating I didn't cook anything.
I ate a plethora of english muffins and cereal varieties.
I never cooked in college (except eggs) and to be honest I had zero interest.
But now I am 28 years old, I am married to a man that enjoys a good meal and I am the mother of 2 boys who just may eat me out of house and home one day (I say maybe because right now neither of my kids eat much at all).
So the past year or so I have tried cooking here and there, usually Hungry Girl recipes.
One of the main issues with me trying to cook is the lack of ingredients.
So I have been trying to plan dinner for the entire week on Sunday.
I even bought a menu planner at Michael's.
So anyway this is what my menu looked like this week, and let me just say these were all easy.
I didn't mess up any of them.
 And if I didn't mess them up, you guys are good to go.

Monday
Orange Chicken. I didn't take a picture of the meal but it was so good. Here is a picture of what it looked like from the website where I found it :The Pursuit of Happiness

It was good. And easy. Here is how you do it.

Ingredients:
• boneless chicken breasts, chopped into small chunks (I would say 5 or 6 medium breasts)
• 1/3 cup flour
• olive oil
• 1/2 T salt
• 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
• 3 T ketchup
• 6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate (thaw or throw it in the microwave for 45 seconds)
• 4 T brown sugar
In a bowl, mix the orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and ketchup.
Pour the flour in a small bowl.
Cover the chicken breast chunks in flour and shake off the excess.
Pour a small amount of olive oil in a skillet and brown the flour-covered chicken.
The chicken doesn't need to be fully cooked since it's going in the crock pot.(I fully cooked mine)
After the chicken is done cooking, pour the pieces into the crock pot.
Then cover the chicken with your sauce mixture and give the pot a stir.
Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3.
Serve over rice and even add veggies if you want a healthier meal.
Next time I would probably add more brown sugar just to off set the citrus of the orange. But it was good and really easy. We ate it over rice and sauteed broccoli with garlic.

Tuesday:
Baked ziti. I wish someone would have told me how REALLY REALLY easy this is. There is nothing to it. I found the recipe at allrecipes.com. Where I typed in easy baked ziti. I always type easy when looking on the Internet for anything I even think about cooking. I did take a picture of this one:


Ingredients
  • 1 (16 ounce) package ziti pasta

  • 24 ounces ricotta cheese

  • 1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese ( I didn't use that much... A pound of cheese is A LOT of cheese)

  • 1 egg, beaten

  • 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce

  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese


  • Directions
    1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and rinse.
    2. In a medium bowl, mix ziti, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, egg and 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce.
    3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    4. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish and spoon in ziti mixture. Top with remaining spaghetti sauce, followed by Parmesan cheese.
    5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes; let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
    Oh and I made my own garlic bread.... So domestic...Check these bad boys out


    Wednesday:
    Honey BBQ chicken calzones. These were Sooooooooooooo easy and so so so good. They are so good that when I saw Michael eating the last one for lunch the next day I stopped what I was doing, looked him straight in the face and said very seriously "You Bastard". I really wanted it. The recipe is from Pillsbury.com:


    Ingredients:
    1can Pillsbury® refrigerated classic pizza crust ( I used Great Value everything for this recipe)
    1 1/3 cups refrigerated original barbecue sauce with shredded chicken (from 18-oz container) - (I boiled the chicken then covered it in honey BBQ sauce)
    1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or Cheddar cheese (2 oz)
     
    Directions:
    1 Heat oven to 425°F. Lightly spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
    2 Unroll dough; place on cookie sheet. Starting at center, press out dough into 14x10-inch rectangle; cut into 4 (7x5-inch) rectangles. Spoon 1/3 cup chicken mixture onto half of each rectangle, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each.
    3 Fold dough in half over filling; press edges firmly with fork to seal. Prick tops with fork.
    4 Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until light brown.

    Thursday:
    I said F it in the A (excuse me I know that was inappropriate, but that is def how I felt)
    Anyway we had a frozen pizza.

    FRIDAY:
    I did shake n bake pork chops, mashed potato's and homemade apple sauce.... Pork chops and apple sauce, I must have been channeling my inner Peter Brady. It was easy. Homemade apple sauce is so easy... Here is the recipe I used tonight

    Ingredients:
  • 4 apples - peeled, cored and chopped

  • 3/4 cup water

  • 1/4 cup white sugar

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • (I also added a little brown sugar)


  • Directions:
    In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher (I used my food processor)

    I didn't take a picture... But it was good....

    Everyone should try these and then come back and tell me how right I was about the good and easy part.

    On a completely unrelated note, why don't you go listen to my new favorite song Bon Iver's Skinny Love.... I see this whole album in my near future.


    Sometimes you just need something different.
    Happy Weekend <3

    4 comments:

    1. I am immmm-pressed!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Very nice! I am glad that I am not the only one who couldn't/can't cook at 24. :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Loving your music picks! <3

      ReplyDelete
    4. I love this song, but by Birdy :)

      ReplyDelete