2/10/2012

adult. ugly word?

Getting older means a lot of things.

For me it was having a baby, moving away, having another baby, buying a house and getting married. In that order. Stating I was an adult, an independent woman (thank you Destiny's Child) came numerous times before all those life altering events. When I graduated high school, when I turned 18 years old, when I went away to college. Oh how little I knew.

The truth is realizing you are a 'grown up' is never what you expect. At least not for me. I think coming to the I am an adult realization is more of an oh shit! kinda moment. Because if we are being honest nothing that goes along with being an adult is particularly glamorous. It comes in the form of bills and loans and Monday through Friday jobs. Its not anything cool like your first tattoo, belly button piercing or your first hangover. It's not when you leave your mom and dad in front of your dorm building for the first time or even when you walk across the stage to get your degree.

My ah ha! I am an adult moment came one night taking care of Blake, the first time he was really really sick... Up all night, fever, throwing up, me rubbing his little back, laying on the couch all night watching Curious George. It was when I realized that this little person was relying solely on me to make him feel better that I had my epiphany. I had graduated into the next life bracket. To adulthood.

I was 25 years old.

I don't think that this is what everyone's defining moment looks like. Just mine.

I was Facebook chatting with one of my best friends last night discussing what we want to do with our lives, what life used to be like only 10 years ago, what its like today and what we want for our future. Dream jobs and dream living arrangements (mostly just that we should all live closer together). Coming to the agreement that passion doesn't always pay the bills, life really does throw serious curve balls and that we really need to find ways to make our dreams come to life....

If anyone has any ideas I think I speak for both Erin and myself when I say we would love to hear them...

anyone?


2 comments:

  1. i still have not had the moment of realization that i am actually an adult. i think when we have children, i will feel that way.

    but when you and Erin find a way to make your dreams come true, please let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I'm so glad you're sharing this bc I think everyone has to have felt this at some point. And WE WILL make our dreams a reality! We just have to remember its a matter of 'when' not 'if'. Heart you xx.

    ReplyDelete