1/21/2015

the no facebook experiment.



It has been 21 days since I signed off Facebook. Making the simple New Years resolution to forego the website for all of 2015. Like most people (I think) I have had a love/hate relationship with Facebook for sometime now. When I signed on over ten years ago (wooh) I was in college and I LOVED me some Facebook. There was no news feed, no business pages, no advertising. It was all profiles and pictures.

But then over time Facebook morphed from this college networking site to a crazy world dominating phenomena. And that was cool in the beginning. Until people started using it as their personal platform to be fucking assholes. The thing that I loved about Facebook (staying connected with people I didn't see often) was completely overshadowed by my complete annoyance of people sharing and over sharing and over over sharing the things that really should be said around like minded people only (or not at all, ever, to anyone).

I hate the politics on Facebook. I like to think of myself as someone who respects other people's opinions. I remind myself often that not everyone has to think like me - we are different, different perspectives are good. Unless you are a racist, bigot, sexist, hypocrite, or just a giant moron. Know your audience. Be respectful enough to know that maybe you could be insulting someone with your comments. Think about how you would feel if your kid's teacher shared a mistake your kid made all over social media (fyi- I would FLIP out- I don't like that shit at all).

And now that I am not on Facebook I am actually in better contact with some of my friends I don't live by or see all the time. We text, and call, and e-mail. Turns out your actual friends will want to know what's going on with you whether you are on Facebook or not.

So to better control my blood pressure I have pledged to be done with Facebook for 2015 and God willing forever!!

........

Instagram, We're good.

No comments:

Post a Comment